Sunday, June 23, 2024

Super Mario Bros. Wonder: The Evolution Continued

Super Mario Bros. Wonder: The Evolution Continued

Introduction: Continuing from my discussion of Super Mario 64, I decided to stick with the Mario theme and somewhat compare it to the newest Mario addition. I got Super Mario Bros. Wonder a few months after its release on Switch and played through the first few worlds of levels. Just a few days ago, I resumed my gameplay and completed a few more worlds.

Game Title: Super Mario Bros. Wonder                         Publisher: Nintendo
Year: 2023                                                                       ESRB Rating: E for everyone 
Platform: Nintendo Switch Console                              Genre: 2D Platformer 

Fun Factor: 
Overall, the game is very fun to play. I have played a lot of Mario platformers in the past, and this game definitely fits that criteria. There are many new elements introduced in this game that make it very unique and exciting. Ironically, the only boring factor for me was that it was too easy. This is not because I have gotten better at platformers; I play some old Mario games over again for fun and can still see the challenge level being vastly different. My main guess is that this game is targeted at a younger audience, but at the same time, when I was that younger audience, the Mario games back then felt more mature in a way. They made certain areas so easy and obvious that sometimes it feels a little insulting. I just recently replayed Super Mario 64 and struggled with a lot of puzzles, which made solving them much more rewarding. However, with this newer iteration, I feel underwhelmed at times. It is still very well-made and very fun, but there are definitely some critiques I have in mind.


Learning Curve: For the most part, it is really easy to get used to the new elements of the game. After all, the controls essentially barely change from game to game. The use of new power-ups may make you take a step back for a moment, but after a minute or so, you pretty much have it down pat. If you have played any other Mario platformer, there isn’t too much new content to learn. Even if you haven’t played a Mario game before, it is still easy to understand how to play.


Graphics: Now, this is an element of gameplay where this game shines. A lot of 2D Mario platformers can only work with so much detail given the smaller screen space and the fact that it is in 2D. However, the revolutionary factor of this game is how greatly the graphics have improved. The use of the foreground and background in some levels, the more expressive characters, and the more 3D-like appearance of everything all contribute to this improvement. It is truly magical what Nintendo did with this concept. I would say what this game is best known for is its newer and more expressive graphics. The characters certainly do seem more alive now that they have more than two expressions. It makes the game feel more real and lovable. For this genre of games, I would say Super Mario Wonder hit it out of the park, showcasing a true standalone uniqueness not seen in other 2D platformers.


Audio: Audio is another great aspect of the game that has improved drastically compared to its past iterations. The characters make more expressive noises, and there is much more music and sound effects, all culminating in making the game sound more alive than ever before. That first level when you encounter the singing piranha plants certainly shocks you at the beginning and sets a true statement that this game is unlike any other. It definitely is more whimsical and playful than past Mario games as well, making me question the younger target audience factor again. Overall, the audio sounds amazing, though I do wish certain iconic sounds from past games were still included.


Controls: The controls, similar to the learning curve, are very easy to understand and learn quickly. However, the constant reminders of how to play and which buttons to use, even in later levels, can be quite annoying. In a more pessimistic opinion, it feels as though the game sometimes thinks we cannot play the game we've already been playing for hours. Certain new mechanics freshen up the old style of gameplay, such as the introduction of badges. As you beat levels, you can collect badges, and when equipped, you have access to different moves. Personally, the parachute cap badge is the one I use most. Some badges, however, feel redundant, but I suppose that depends on the type of player you are. As usual with most Nintendo games, the controls are on par with the times. There are little to no wonky controls or glitches, and the drift problem seems to be going away as well. I suspect that certain software updates are how that problem is being solved in the first place.


Story: 
Ironically, for once, the story is technically different from past Mario platformer games. Princess Peach is no longer the damsel in distress but is now a playable character. In this story, Bowser is still the big bad, but he gets an interesting makeover by becoming a battleship. You travel to a neighboring kingdom and meet Prince Florian with all your friends. Suddenly Bowser appears to steal the power of the land through mysterious wonder seeds and wonder flowers that apparently power everything in the kingdom. You team up with the prince, help other flower citizens along the way, and collect wonder seeds by beating levels until you can fight and defeat Bowser. Then all the power is restored, and it's happily ever after. The game reaches its goal by making a family-friendly story that everyone can get into and have fun playing. Turning your brain off for a simple, fun story like this has always been a Mario tradition perfect for everyone.


Characters: Finally! After so long, there's another game where you can play my favorite character, Yoshi! However, all the Yoshi characters are in easy mode, taking no damage and making the game less fun at times. I'm disappointed that my favorite green dinosaur is in a way taken away from me once more. It is refreshing to finally get to play more characters, though. I don't think there are many Mario games other than Mario Party and Mario Kart where you can play so many different characters. You have Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Daisy; yellow, blue, and pink Toads; green, yellow, red, and blue Yoshis; and Nabbit. I adore the selection, but I wish you could turn off easy mode for the characters because I love playing as Yoshi but want to play in the normal setting. So, I opt for Luigi instead. Still, it's nice knowing I have more options now and much more fun seeing all these characters in action. How often do you see Daisy do anything in a main Mario game? It is all quite exciting.


Level Design: At first glance, the level design is like any other Mario platformer with enemies, checkpoints, powerups, pipes, the final flag, and bosses. However, the addition of wonder seeds and wonder flowers adds a whole new aspect to the game. Around the halfway point of every level, you can find a wonder flower, and when you activate it, it turns the whole level practically into a new one. Each version of this is drastically different, from causing a stampede of Bulrushes to run after you, to levels that turn you into a ball of slime or a Goomba. This really makes the game unique and exciting in many new ways.


Changes: Yes, there are quite a few changes I would add to the game. First off, the Bowser levels should not be this easy. That one level where you jump over a conveyor belt to press a button to stop the Bowser machine took me two seconds to finish. Second, what happened to the variation in boss levels? The Koopalings would have been a wonderful addition to this game, giving the boss fights much more variation and excitement and potentially adding a challenge. I am not sure how most others feel about this game, but it was way too easy for me and got boring quickly because of it. I still haven't finished the game, not because it's difficult, but because it feels unfulfilling. The game is fun and going in a great artistic direction, but the actual gameplay challenge could use some work. Third, this is completely my opinion: I really don't like the talking flowers. The first time I heard one talk, I thought I was hearing things. Generally, there isn't much talking in Mario games, so this really caught me off guard. I understand they are supposed to be fun, supportive, and whimsical, but to me, they are just creepy. It might be because they all sound the same. When you give something that many speaking roles and that much sentience, you should give it more variation. It feels like flower clones are going to secretly take over my game. I don't truly know why I don't like them; they are just really uncanny to me for them to be in a Mario game.


Recommendation: I would recommend this game to those who might just be starting out with platformers. It is definitely a great starter game for this genre. I would also recommend this game to any die-hard Nintendo fans; despite my criticisms, it still is a fabulous Mario game added to the long line of Mario 2D platformers. The only downside is the challenge aspect, but other than that, this is a solid game. It may not be my favorite, but it is definitely worth trying out to see if you like it. It’s fun, delightful, and overall a great addition to the Mario lineup of games.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Super Mario Bros. Wonder: The Evolution Continued

Super Mario Bros. Wonder: The Evolution Continued Introduction:  Continuing from my discussion of Super Mario 64, I decided to stick with th...